Safety Footwear Policy
Policy’s Initial Date: January 24, 2012
This program applies to all Auxiliary and Business Services (A&BS) full-time employees whose duties have been determined to warrant the purchase of safety footwear. Safety Footwear reimbursement will be authorized when the position requires the use of safety footwear as determined by the Job Hazards Analysis on more than an occasional need.
If safety footwear reimbursement is authorized the following eligibility conditions apply:
- Employees must be full-time staff or technical service employees.
- Employees will be eligible for safety footwear once every calendar year.
- Damaged footwear or replacements will be handled on an individual basis.
- Employees will be responsible for replacing their safety footwear if they are lost, neglected, intentionally damaged or misused.
- Employees who transfer into A&BS from another PSU unit will be eligible for safety footwear the following calendar year if they had shoes reimbursed during the year of transfer.
- Selection of safety footwear will be made on the employees own time and outside of their normally scheduled shift.
- Employees are responsible to provide a valid receipt and toe tag confirming the footwear meets or exceeds ANSI & ASTM Z41-1991.
When safety footwear reimbursement is authorized, the following procedure will be followed to purchase the footwear:
- An employee requiring new or replacement safety footwear must complete the Request for Prescription Safety Glasses/Safety Footwear (Non-Specialty) form. The employee should complete only the information in the biographical and employee information section. After the employee has completed this form, it must be presented to his/her supervisor for authorization to purchase footwear.
- The supervisor will authorize the request by completing the remaining information on the Request for Prescription Safety Glasses/Safety Footwear (Non-Specialty) form. This form should be mailed to the A&BS Safety Office for final approval. An email will be generated to the supervisor to confirm approval along with the Safety Shoe Reimbursement Form.
- The employee will submit the Safety Shoe Reimbursement Form along with their receipt and toe tag confirming the footwear meets or exceeds ANSI & ASTM Z41-1991to their immediate supervisor. The supervisor will mail this information to the A&BS Safety Office. The Safety Office will submit copies to Accounting for processing. 4. The employee will be reimbursed the appropriate amount via direct deposit into their bank account. Per University policy, the reimbursement rate is 50% of the total cost up to a maximum of $75 per calendar year.